Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Two Hours Till The Alarm...

I'm lying in bed waiting on a 3:45am alarm. In two hours I will begin my unofficial first leg of the 2014 Gumball 3000. But sleep has been as elusive tonight as it was on Christmas Eve as a kid.

I had a few last minute emails tonight: I'm supposed to meet team Deadmau5 and a rep from Feuillatte Champagne in Miami, and Carlos from Tag Heuer says the lenses of the top secret prototype driving glasses he's bringing me are currently being ground in a lab or something for a Tuesday am delivery. And I'm being picked up at the airport in Miami by my as-yet-unmentioned sponsor. (I'm kinda waiting on a picture to do it justice).

I spoke to Vanity Fair writer George Gurley this afternoon, who wrote a fantastic piece on the rally a few years back. His advice? "Don't sleep, and talk to everyone." I could tell by the tone of his voice that going on the Gumball was genuinely one of the best experiences of his life. (He also said you get used to driving at 120mph and when you get back home, everything feels slow.)

The Gumball doesn't start until Thursday, but the parties begin tomorrow night, and go till 5am. Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment